Saturday, April 7, 2007

Memorable setting of 1984

Winston and Julia spends their time in a small room above Mr. Charrington’s shop in the later part of the novel. Winston and Julia seem like escaping from the society and create the world of their own in the room though it is temporary. In the first part of the novel it is mentioned that Winston bought a note book and a pen from a small curio shop which happened to be Mr. Charrington’s shop. The note book and a fountain pen are things that represent the past which is what Winston wants to discover and approach closer. I believe those would have played a mentally supporting role for Winston who is tired of the pressure from telescreens, mikes, poster of Big Brother and 2 Minutes Hate. In the later part of the novel, Winston borrows a room over Mr. Charrington’s shop to use it as a secret meeting place with Julia, his girlfriend. His physical appearance and health improves by the care and love of her while the stress and strain of Hate Week increased.

My pervious home in Canada – which used to be the place where I could rest and felt secured– was in a big contrast with the outer unfamiliar world. During the first six months in Canada, I didn’t have any friend to talk in school, which made me feel ashamed and sad though it was what I wanted and chose to concentrate on studying. Thus, my house was where I could rest and relax comportably with my family not needing to hide from unfamiliar eyes of my classmates.

The situation where Winston is placed has many differences from my experience, for escaping to the room was chosen completely by his will. Nevertheless, I could sympathize with him – though mine will not be as intense as his – as a person who has once tried to escape from society.

No comments: